Seeding & Planting

No-Till Saves Moisture, Hikes Yields in Variable Soils

Elminating tillage gave Jarrod and Terry Lawrence a shot at preserving precious moisture, adding corn to their rotation and boosting production on their highly variable Kansas soils.
On Paper, Jarrod Lawrence and his father Terry are supposed to see about 32 inches of precipitation per year, which should be adequate to raise profitable crops.
Read More

What I've Learned From No-Tilling: Patience and Like Minds Yield No-Till Success

From his first no-tilled acres to tweaking cover crops, working with a ‘No-Till Club’ helps Jim Riesberg forge ahead.
About 75% OF the acres around me still aren’t no-tilled. I can’t blame them. It wasn’t the easiest change to make, but it’s well worth it in my opinion.
Read More

U.K. Grower Shares Success Stories from His Conversion from Full Tillage to Direct Drilling

Reports of his retirement have been greatly exaggerated as David White is direct drilling various crops on light ‘boys’ land near Cambridge, England.
Farming 400 acres of combinable crops on light ‘boys’ land between Cambridge and Newmarket, I’ve just had my third direct-drilled harvest. I’m 100% combinable, having been a sugarbeet grower since the days of hand hoeing, as well as offering a drilling and harvesting service with a 6-row tanker in the past.
Read More

Piecing Together a No-Till System from the Ground Up

A family that ignored naysayers and embraced no-till practices and living roots is bringing productivity back to tough clay soils and riverbottoms in southern Indiana.
Joe Kern and his father, John, admit they’re still dealing with a learning curve. But through working with no-till practices they’re transforming their “clay pot” soils into acreage that recently produced up to 240-bushel corn and 80-bushel soybeans.
Read More

Getting Out of the Rut with No-Tilling, Cover Crop Interseeding, Weed Suppression

Tom Cotter is boosting the value of his soils in the heart of the Corn Belt by putting the iron away and keeping his fields covered and active year round.
It's easy to get stuck in a rut with farming, but that’s a major reason Tom Cotter did the opposite of that and turned to no-tilling and interseeding cover crops to rejuvenate his farm.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

Cover_CTG_1118_198w.jpg

No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings