Cover Crops

Jeff_Jake_Lake.jpg

No-Till and Precision ‘Scripting’ Improves Yields from Sandy Soils

Family’s collective inputs help improve soil health through cover crops, nutrient management and yield mapping in Wisconsin’s “Frac Sands” region.
In an area of northwestern Wisconsin known for its teeming fracture sand mining industry, no-tiller Jeff Lake, his wife Kelly and son Jake are carving out a successful no-till operation on 1,500 acres of irregularly-shaped, contoured fields.
Read More
Stuckey_4.jpg
What I've Learned from No-Tilling

Negotiating Challenges and Opportunities When Combining No-Till and Dairy

Cover crops and strategic nutrient-cycling rotations help manage manure, while twin-row cropping tackles late-germinating weeds.
In the last 10 years I’ve seen no-till declining in my area. I simply don’t understand it, maybe it’s the draw of recreational tillage as we like to call it, but to me it’s just not sustainable in the long run.
Read More
Homepage 8.3

Swapping ‘Jugs’ for Cover Crops Leads to Greener No-Till Future

Matt Griggs says embracing biomass in his fields has improved soil tilth and health, stabilized yields, enhanced weed control and produced a better-looking balance sheet.
When Matt Griggs decided to embark on no-till practices more than a decade ago he was already dealing with a degraded soil resource. More than 100 years of conventional tillage and a monoculture of cotton on his family’s rolling farm ground had caused erosion and stripped soils of organic matter.
Read More
Frank Comments

Covers Keep Weeds in Check

When growers talk about the benefits of cover crops, the talk normally centers around erosion control, keeping nutrients in the field, improving soil quality and trimming fertilizer purchases. More effective weed control is another benefit, and some no-tillers have found cover crops allow them to omit at least one costly herbicide trip across their fields per year.
Read More
truax
Webinar Replay

[Webinar] Capturing the Full Value of Cover Crops, Perennial Pastures

This webinar, sponsored by Truax Co., examines how you can get the full value of cover crops through grazing and expanding your cash crop rotation. No-tiller Gabe Brown of Brown's Ranch in Bismarck, N.D. shares the value of integrating animals into your cropping system and more in this free webinar. [To view any of our webinar replays, you must be logged in with a free user account.]
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

NTF_June_2024_Cover.jpg

No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings