Soil Health

No-Tiller Miles Willhite

Mounting Application Costs Returns No-Tiller to Tillage … for Now

Citing increasing herbcide expenses to combat weed pressures, long-time Kansas no-tiller Miles Willhite is seeking an alternative to ‘chemical farming.’
The spraying bills were adding up for Miles Willhite. He felt that the mounting expenses — creeping into the five-figure realm — to spray chemicals, including application costs, were outweighing the benefits of no-tilling on what was then a 300-acre farm in Leon, Kan.
Read More

[Podcast] Nuts and Bolts of No-Till Crop Nutrition Part 2

In this episode of the No-Till Farmer podcast, brought to you by Calmer Corn Heads, we continue our discussion with John Grove, director of the University of Kentucky Research and Education Center, shifting focus to nutrient management after crops have emerged.
In this episode of the No-Till Farmer podcast, brought to you by Calmer Corn Heads, we continue our discussion with John Grove, director of the University of Kentucky Research and Education Center, shifting focus to nutrient management after crops have emerged.
Read More

Heeding Soil and Leaf Sap Tests Could Boost No-Till Soybean Yields

A comparison of No-Till Farmer survey results and soil test data from five states show a need for no-tillers to address micronutrient deficiencies to improve soybean production.
No-Tillers could be leaving as much as $24 per acre on the table by not addressing key soil nutrient deficiencies in soybeans, says an Illinois certified crop adviser.
Read More
ChadRubbelke.jpg
What I've Learned from No-Tilling

Harnessing Data, Tweaking Inputs Pushes No-Till Production to New Heights

Variable-rate technology helps North Dakota’s Chad Rubbelke better utilize precision data to apply nutrients precisely and boost crop yields.
I was born into no-till, you could say. It’s really all I’ve ever known. My grandfather was a big proponent for the environment and was an advocate when my Dad pushed for reducing tillage on our farm in the early 1990s.
Read More

[Podcast] Nuts and Bolts of No-Till Crop Nutrition Part 1

In this episode of the No-Till Farmer podcast, brought to you by Calmer Corn Heads, we welcome John Grove, director of the University of Kentucky Research and Education Center, to discuss the unique characteristics of no-till soil environments when compared to soils on conventionally tilled farms and how those can affect the availability of nutrients to plants.
In this episode of the No-Till Farmer podcast, brought to you by Calmer Corn Heads, we welcome John Grove, director of the University of Kentucky Research and Education Center, to discuss the unique characteristics of no-till soil environments when compared to soils on conventionally tilled farms and how those can affect the availability of nutrients to plants.
Read More
Jake-Miller-Callout.jpg

Diverse Cover Crop, No-Till System Bring High Forage Quality, Lower Cost of Gain

Innovative no-tiller and cowman Jake Miller utilizes strip grazing and a variety of cover mixes to diversify food sources for his cow-calf operation and improve soil quality.
Innovative no-tiller and cowman Jake Miller utilizes strip grazing and a variety of cover mixes to diversify food sources for his cow-calf operation and improve soil quality.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

NTF_June_2024_Cover.jpg

No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings