Soil Health

David White

U.K. Grower Shares Success Stories from His Conversion from Full Tillage to Direct Drilling

Reports of his retirement have been greatly exaggerated as David White is direct drilling various crops on light ‘boys’ land near Cambridge, England.
Farming 400 acres of combinable crops on light ‘boys’ land between Cambridge and Newmarket, I’ve just had my third direct-drilled harvest. I’m 100% combinable, having been a sugarbeet grower since the days of hand hoeing, as well as offering a drilling and harvesting service with a 6-row tanker in the past.
Read More
Joe Kern

Piecing Together a No-Till System from the Ground Up

A family that ignored naysayers and embraced no-till practices and living roots is bringing productivity back to tough clay soils and riverbottoms in southern Indiana.
Joe Kern and his father, John, admit they’re still dealing with a learning curve. But through working with no-till practices they’re transforming their “clay pot” soils into acreage that recently produced up to 240-bushel corn and 80-bushel soybeans.
Read More
Tom-Cotter

Getting Out of the Rut with No-Tilling, Cover Crop Interseeding, Weed Suppression

Tom Cotter is boosting the value of his soils in the heart of the Corn Belt by putting the iron away and keeping his fields covered and active year round.
It’s easy to get stuck in a rut with farming, but that’s a major reason Tom Cotter did the opposite of that and turned to no-tilling and interseeding cover crops to rejuvenate his farm.
Read More

Best Practices for Avoiding Compaction at Harvest

Ag engineer Paul Jasa shares some actionable information about avoiding compaction issues this fall during harvest to pave the way for planting next spring.
In some areas, fall rains have left the fields soft and ruts are being cut into the soil during harvest. These ruts leave the soil surface rough and have severe compaction below them.
Read More
DSC_0059.jpg
What I've Learned from No-Tilling

Willingness to Change Keeps No-Tillers in the Field

The Auer family keeps pushing their no-till legacy ahead with equipment adaptations and improved rotations to rejuvenate fields.
My family farms on what is known as the Comanche Flats just northwest of Billings, Mont. As the name implies, the terrain is relatively level — in fact, the plow horses my great grandfather used to work the land were likely grateful for — so erosion isn’t a major concern for us.
Read More
Blake Vince

Why Roots — Not Iron — are Key to a More Prosperous No-Till Future

Nuffield scholar and Merlin, Ontario no-tiller Blake Vince discusses valuable lessons learned abroad and at home about putting healthy soils and water first.
We started no-tilling in 1983 and are still on that path today. For years, we’ve incorporated cover crops and now we’re using multi-species cover crops to protect the soil.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

Cover_CTG_0524.jpg

No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings