Water Management

Granville-and-Chris-Maitland.jpg
What I've Learned from No-Tilling

Keeping on an Even, Reliable Keel with Decades of No-Till

A long running commitment to no-till, cover crops and constant learning make for smooth sailing on this Virginia farm.
We quite buying crop insurance 30 years ago. We kept paying premiums and paying premiums and never had yields low enough to qualify for payment. In fact, I haven’t had a crop failure since I started no-tilling more than 50 years ago.
Read More
field-day.jpg

Building a Case for the Economic Benefits of Improving Soil Health

To help farmers make informed decisions, the Soil Health Partnership is gathering data on the financial impacts of conservation practices.
FOR THE PAST 7 years, the National Corn Growers Assn. and their partners have been working to increase the confident adoption of soil health management practices today and in the future through the Soil Health Partnership (SHP).
Read More
Ian and Dianne Haggerty Australia

From ‘No Hope in Heck’ to Regenerative No-Tilling

Ian and Dianne Haggerty are using the concepts of “Natural Intelligence Farming” to build a regenerative enterprise focused on zero tillage, livestock integration and biologically sourced inputs that boost their soil resources and profitability.
Married and both raised in farming families, Ian and Dianne Haggerty were shocked when they sought advice from a farm advisor on managing their fledgling operation in the drylands of southwestern Australia.
Read More
Southeast Research Farm trials

Study Seeks to Increase Adoption of Soil Conservation Practices

Farmers who make soil health a priority are more likely to adopt soil conservation practices, according to a survey by South Dakota State University. While research is important for showing the benefits of using soil-improving management strategies, government incentive programs can provide short-term compensation until producers begin to collect long-term rewards.
Read More
cover_crop_mix_2.jpg
What I've Learned from No-Tilling

Adding Diversity and Livestock for a Stronger Bottom Line — Now and in the Future

Playing the long game means this no-tiller’s profits may be more impressive when viewed by the decade rather than the year.
Farmers want to see a profit. They want to see it every year and with every crop. There’s nothing wrong with that exactly, but I want to consider long term potential benefits and compounding profits as much as short-term gain when weighing management strategies.
Read More
farm landscape

So How Much is No-Till Worth? Calculating the Value of No-Till in Land Rental, Sales

Land appraisals don’t take management practices into account, but they should, says Paul Overby. The no-tiller and student of sustainability practices is on a quest to get the benefits of no-till and cover crops hard-coded into the appraisal system.
As a No-Tiller, do you know how much value — if any — no-till practices bring to your land? In terms of actual dollars, what is the value of increasing soil organic matter, improving water infiltration or installing drain tile? And are these factors top of mind when purchasing or renting land?
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

Cover_CTG_0524.jpg

No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings