Seeding & Planting

Frank Comments

More No-Till Is A Must

When it comes to the future of the planet, Rattan Lal doesn’t beat around the bush. “Increase no-till farming practices across the planet or face serious climate, soil quality and food production problems in the next 20 to 50 years,” says the soil scientist at Ohio State University.
Read More

Shifting Wheat Strategy To No-Tilled Corn And Soybeans

Practices that increased wheat yields from England to Kentucky can also move effectively to the most popular no-till crops.
After witnessing high-yield wheat fields in England, Miles Farm Supply officials recruited four English agronomists to boost wheat production in the western Kentucky, southern Indiana and Tennessee areas served by the company’s Opti-Crop crop management division.
Read More

Changing Factors Require Different No-Till Corn Choices

While most seed firms don’t rank corn hybrids for essential agronomic factors, smaller companies are offering what farmers want and need in the way of important selection data to help you push up no-till profits.
Everyone's heard seed salesman say that almost every corn hybrid will perform well with any type of tillage. While more seed companies are finally admitting that cold vigor, residue level, germination rate and a few other items should be evaluated when selecting corn hybrids for no-till, Kevin Newgard maintains a number of other key agronomic factors need to be considered.
Read More

GMO European Concerns: It’s Not Just Their Problem

GMOs continue to be more than controversial in Europe. Here’s what you need to know if the worries spread across the pond.
Think back a few years to the first time you heard the words “mad cow disease” uttered by the media. What began as a strange phenomenon turned into a British disaster. We’re all familiar with the images of shaking cows, but should it concern us?
Read More
Frank Comments

Watch Shallow No-Tilling

While John Pickle admits that no-tilling corn shallow will get the plants out of the ground faster, he maintains there are several other considerations to worry about when deciding how deep to plant.
Read More
What-Ive-Learned-Mar-04-3.png
What I've Learned from No-Tilling

Direct Seeding Has Dramatically Reduced Dependence On Herbicides

Thanks to diversified crop rotations and improved management strategies, no-tilling is paying off for this eastern Oregon rancher and his two sons.
When we started no-tilling 25 years ago, we really weren’t trying to solve a soil erosion problem. We hadn’t thought it through that far and we just wanted to stay competitive by reducing costs. And it took several years and dramatic changes in our cropping systems before we started to see the real long-term benefits of no-till (which we call direct seeding).
Read More

The Benefits Of No-Till Farming

The winning entry from a South Carolina high school senior in the Phoenix Rotary Equipment Ltd. conservation tillage essay contest explains how no-till has helped the family boost yields while reducing costs and protecting the soil.
Though only 17 years of age, I consider myself an experienced farmer. I have worked alongside my father on our family’s farm since I was a small child, learning the skills of agriculture and developing a desire to make farming my own life’s work. Living on a farm that has belonged to and supported our family for generations, I am acutely aware of how drastically farming techniques have changed over the years.
Read More
Less-Tillage-Leads-To.png

Why Less Tillage Leads To More Treated Seed

Using a seed treatment fungicide can slice as much as 80 percent off the cost of using tillage to tackle root diseases.
In recent years, there has been a push to no-till soybeans earlier every year. Although no-tilling early can help maximize your yield potential, there is also a risk associated with planting into cooler, wetter soil, which is ideal for disease development. In fact, the shift toward earlier planting dates is one factor that has contributed to the increased need for preventative disease control.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

NTF_June_2024_Cover.jpg

No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings