Cover Crops

29_Harborview_Farms_IG_0416.jpg

Precise Nutrient, Cover Crop Use Cleans Up Chesapeake

Trey Hill shares what he’s learned from trying to reduce nitrogen leaching, managing inputs and battling slugs on his 10,000 no-till acres.
Although Trey Hill has been farming around 10,000 acres in Rock Hall, Md., his whole life, he’s quick to mention that he’s more a student than a teacher. It’s this instinct that leads him to perpetually tweak his nitrogen (N) management and cover-crop program, forever in search of more conservative and efficient techniques for the fourth generation family-run Harborview Farms.
Read More
Baker-AirSeeder_1.jpg

Interseeding Tools Get Cover Crops Off to Faster Start

No-tillers can avoid the mad rush to get cover crops seeded after harvest by planting them into standing cash crops.
One of the most common challenges no-tillers encounter with cover crops is at the very start — getting them seeded. Interseeding — the practice of seeding covers with a drill, spinner spreader, toolbar or sprayer into an established and growing cash crop — may provide a solution.
Read More
109_NTF_Dan_DeSutter_LB_0516.jpg
What I've Learned from No-Tilling

Rejuvenating Acres and Ramping Up Soil Productivity

No-till is just one component of the system Dan DeSutter is using to break up compaction, store water, increase organic matter and improve yields.
My dad gets the credit for taking the initial steps of reducing tillage on our farm, but I can probably take some credit for pushing us into a full no-till system. And I do mean system, because no-till is just the tiny tip of the very large iceberg that is our farm management strategy today.
Read More

[Webinar] Cover Cropping to Aid the Transition to No-Till and Lessons Learned Jumping in Feet First

Johnny Hunter has not been afraid to jump into no-till and cover cropping with both feet first. The Essex, Mo., farmer of 5,400 acres began his transition to no-till in 2012 and immediately began working with various cover crops in his diverse system that includes field corn, popcorn, soybeans, rice and pumpkins. During this No-Till Farmer webinar sponsored by KB Seed Solutions, Hunter shared the following about his cover cropping system. [To view any of our webinar replays, you must be logged in with a free user account.]
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

NTF_June_2024_Cover.jpg

No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings