Soil Health

Frank Comments

Managing The Underground

Growers understand that no-till has a favorable impact on soil management. It’s due to the many interconnections between tillage, cropping practices, fertilizer, soil amendments and other soil treatments that end up boosting your yields.
Read More
p6a_Compaction.jpg

No Matter The Tillage Method, Compaction Is Costly

New data shows compaction impacts soil quality and plant growth on many levels.
Compaction is a no-till farmer’s kryptonite. The benefits that no-till provides — reduced soil erosion, increased organic matter, efficient biological ecosystems, improved soil quality, higher infiltration rates, yield boosts and more — can quickly be reclaimed if compaction occurs.
Read More
No-Till Notes

No-Till Vs.Strip-Till

Is there a strip-till advantage, or can most no-tillers match strip-till yields with better management?
As more producers move toward no-till systems for conservation compliance and to reduce costs, some have chosen strip-till. Research shows strip-till corn yields have been slightly higher and more consistent than no-till in some areas.
Read More
WILHarrington_6.jpg
What I've Learned from No-Tilling

Telling The World Why It Should No-Till An Easy Thing To Do

Preserving soil got southeast Iowa farmer Rodger Harrington into no-till, while being profitable kept him in it.
When people ask why I was the first farmer in our area of southeastern Iowa to start no-tilling 28 years ago, I answer that it was bred into me to control soil erosion any way I can — including extensive use of terraces and grass waterways. I couldn’t bear to see all that soil running into streams and rivers. I knew I had to do something to keep that from happening.
Read More
FallNitrogen_5.jpg

Fall Nitrogen Requires A Balancing Act

Reduce your spring workload and apply nitrogen more cheaply, but the risk of leaching could leave you short of nitrogen when corn needs it.
When you have a spring season like 2008, you can understand why some growers make an effort to apply at least some of their nitrogen in the fall. But just because you get your nitrogen applied before winter flies, that doesn’t mean it will all be there next spring and summer when your corn needs it.
Read More
FallNitrogen_3.jpg

To Minimize Soil Disturbance, Get Rid Of The Shake

Anhydrous application can be accomplished without tearing up no-till fields.
According to Paul Jasa, Extension agricultural engineer at the University of Nebraska, no-tillers can minimize soil disturbance with existing application equipment. The key is setting the machine correctly and having the right coulters and shanks in place to do the job.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

NTF_June_2024_Cover.jpg

No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings