Refuge Rules Slashed By 75%

Many no-tillers have been wondering when the refuge requirement for Bt corn hybrids might be reduced. With a reduced refuge, they’ve been calculating how much corn yields could be raised across their operations. 

The good news is that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently announced that the size of the required refuge with a new SmartStax insect-protection and weed-control platform in corn will be trimmed from 20% to only 5% of the acres in the Corn Belt and Canada in 2010. The refuge requirement for corn grown in Southern states where cotton is planted will be 20% rather than the current 50% requirement.

This represents the first change in refuge requirements since EPA enacted them in 1999 to help prevent corn insects, such as the European corn borer, from developing resistance to Bt technology.

Developed jointly by Monsanto and Dow AgroSciences, SmartStax will be offered on 3 to 4 million acres of corn in 2010.

5% To 10% More Corn

 “The 5% refuge for SmartStax will give farmers a tremendous advantage to increase total farm corn yields by 5% to 10%,” says Robb Fraley, chief technology officer and executive vice president at Monsanto. “This reduced refuge will be easier for farmers, further reduce insecticide use and enhance the long-term durability of the technology.”

“The multiple modes of action of SmartStax reduce the likelihood of insect resistance,” adds Jerome Peribere, Dow AgroSciences president. “Farmers will benefit from increased productivity due to improved pest protection and a reduced refuge.”

What’s Involved? SmartStax…

To view the content, please subscribe or login.
 Premium content is for our Digital-only and Premium subscribers. A Print-only subscription doesn't qualify. Please purchase/upgrade a subscription with the Digital product to get access to all No-Till Farmer content and archives online. Learn more about the different versions and what is included.

Lessiter frank

Frank Lessiter

Frank Lessiter has served as editor of No-Till Farmer since the publication was launched in November of 1972. Raised on a six-generation Michigan Centennial Farm, he has spent his entire career in agricultural journalism. Lessiter is a dairy science graduate from Michigan State University.

Top Articles

Current Issue


No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings