Research Reveals Unusual Nitrogen Response

A hunch fails to produce intended results from closer placement of fertilizer to corn.

Marion Calmer knows that proper use of nitrogen leads to increased profits, higher yields and less runoff.

However, what the owner of Calmer’s Agronomic Research Center in Alpha, Ill., is searching for is an avenue through which more nitrogen can flow from the soil into the corn root system to boost yield.

“We know nitrogen is one of the best investments we can make because we get more bang out of that buck than any other place we spend our money,” says Calmer. “I want to improve my plants’ efficiency in sucking nitrogen out of the ground.”

End Nitrogen Loss

Calmer estimates only 40 percent of applied nitrogen is used by the plant. The remaining 60 percent of the nitrogen escapes into the air or leaks through tiles, making its way into streams, rivers and lakes.

Calmer set up a series of test plots to study efficient placement of nitrogen in corn. He found that the specific corn variety was as important a factor as where the nitrogen was placed in relation to the seed. Corn borer infestation also had a lot to do with that revelation.

“Anything that had the Bt gene in it stayed alive,” says Calmer. “When the corn plant stays alive and dies a natural death, it has the ability to suck the nitrogen out of the soil and turn it into more corn.”

Calmer’s initial belief was to place nitrogen either directly below the seed or to both sides of the row.

Use Soil Profile

To view the content, please subscribe or login.
 Premium content is for our Digital-only and Premium subscribers. A Print-only subscription doesn't qualify. Please purchase/upgrade a subscription with the Digital product to get access to all No-Till Farmer content and archives online. Learn more about the different versions and what is included.

Top Articles

Current Issue


No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings