Advertise Follow Us
With weed control season in full swing for many no-tillers, it’s a good time to pass along a few practical ideas used successfully by attendees at last winter’s National No-Tillage Conference.
Plenty of ideas were shared by conference attendees regarding getting more value out of herbicide dollars and finding effective ways to reduce herbicide rates. Some may work for you and some may not.
1. For a no-till burndown herbicide, use 1/3 pint of 2,4-D with 0.7 pints of Roundup Ultra per acre. Apply 1/6 ounce of Synchrony, 2 ounces of Fusion and 2 ounces of Flexstar at 14-day intervals.
2. For residual weed control in no-till soybeans, one farmer reported excellent weed control results by applying only a half rate of Pursuit.
3. Applying 3 or 4 ounces of Canopy and 2,4-D per acre in the fall eliminates the need for a burndown herbicide application the following spring for one no-tiller.
4. Another no-tiller relies on a half rate of Bicep or Harness Extra, then 4 ounces per acre of Distinct when the corn is 10 inches tall.
5. By applying 12 ounces of Dual along with 1 1/2 quarts per acre of Aatrex when weeds are less than 1 inch tall, another no-tiller finds most of his fields don’t need a burndown herbicide.
6. An attendee who no-tills Roundup Ready corn relies on an application of 12 ounces per acre of Roundup Ultra as a burndown just prior to corn emergence. This is combined with a followup treatment…